Friday, February 28, 2014

Reality hides around every corner

Looking at my previous post I thought some readers might interpret my perspective as negative. That is not my intent. The possibility of showing your art is very high - but where and when varies greatly. The possibility of making a living at your art is somewhat more remote. Unless you are very lucky, and some people are, making a living at "pure art" probably won't happen. Making a living as an artist, and taking on commissions and projects for others (AKA customers) can happen. The key, beyond luck, comes down to consistent dedicated work. WORK! I keep thinking of an old TV character when that word comes up. Work need not be a defeat - the right work is a rewarding way to live.

The idea of taking on assignments or commissions is off putting to some, but remember that many celebrated artists have worked in that fashion. Most benefactors expect something from their investment. Making a portrait for hire can still be creative, and come from your heart - and it helps pay the bills. Like it or not, we all need that.

1 comment:

  1. Regarding commission work... Most of us dislike this kind of thing, for obvious reasons, the pressure to please the client being one of them. What I have found useful in these situations is to have a policy by which the client does not pay anything for my work unless they are pleased with the finished product. Admittedly, this means you run the risk of making a piece that you then must keep, and possibly that you need to make ANOTHER piece for the client, but the rewards of the "no commitment" agreement mean that some of the pressure is off of both parties. I have only had one experience where the client asked me to make a second painting. I didn't mind, in the end, because I liked the rejected piece better, and don't think I'll have any problem selling it.

    ReplyDelete