Saturday, March 1, 2014

Kind hearted galleries and all the others

When artists visit my gallery hoping to show me their work, it is easy to recognize newcomers. Many times artists just drop in without calling, and ask me to look at their art. Since I respond favorably to anything that takes me away from paperwork,  cleaning or other tasks that really need my attention, I'm happy to spend a few minutes looking at fresh art.

It should be mentioned that in many galleries the artist would be treated as an intruder and given various reasons why the curator or owner could not, would not, and never would see the unannounced visitor. I have one friend who rode along with me to Atlanta so that he could present his work to galleries there. He was rebuffed and told that even five minutes were not available to see what he had to show. I believe that gallery lost out, and that remembrance is part of my reasoning for looking whenever I am able.

Fresh Art? Well, that is the problem. If you've ever been told by a teacher that pet pictures, flower pictures and old barns are off limits for your assignments then you might have an inkling of my dilemma. Any of those subjects can be beautiful and different - just as landscapes and tourist destinations can be - but they are not fresh. Because I love art, I always try to encourage - and try to find a gentle way to say no, or at least not yet, to most would be exhibitors.

But wait -  if you have strong work, then go ahead and try your best to show it to a gallery curator. You might be pleasantly surprised, but at worst you can learn and be better prepared for the next time you ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment