Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Working Together With Kindred Spirits

I'm going out on a limb with my recent actions, but I think the end result will be good one.http://www.throughthislens.com/artvenues.html
My gallery is in the city center and since I've opened several years ago, a good number of new galleries have opened within a short walking distance. I've just changed my company web site to include links to several friendly competitors web sites. Or, are they competitors? Galleries are by nature rare bird businesses. If they work together I believe the end result will be a stronger arts community. The more fully recognized every gallery becomes, the greater number of supporters will be drawn to the entire arts district. If you want to see what I'm talking about here please take a look at:

I'm so excited about this change that I'm publishing the announcement here before anywhere else. Please tell me if you think I'm crazy for including other galleries on my web site - or if you see it as a positive move for one and all.

1 comment:

  1. No, I don't think galleries are crazy to cross-promote one another. I wish more arts professionals would do this.

    When I worked at a tiny non-profit gallery, our board saw expanding our audience as the only measure of success open to us. But, when we employees attempted to grow our audience through partnering with like-minded organizations in town, the board tried to put on the breaks. They viewed the other organizations as threatening competitors.

    The reality of it was, our audiences were one in the same. If we inadvertently scheduled competing events durning the same time slot, each of our turnouts would suffer because our audience pool had to choose one or the other event to attend. If we worked together to create our programs - indeed if we even partnered to create programming together - our audiences grew. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete