Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Why galleries?

Back to business after my last sad post. We will explore whether a gallery is a good, or not so good, option - and even though I run one, I'm not always convinced myself.

Can a gallery sell your work? Yes, or at least maybe.
Why? Some of the reasons are:

  • Constant availability of your original work for visitors to see and purchase
  • Regular hours for drop in art lovers - and sometimes just lost souls who may still buy art
  • Helps further an artist's reputation - even today, there is still something "official" about having work shown in a gallery
  • Gallery staff can offer insight and detailed information about the artist and their work
  • Relieves the artist from some marketing responsibility
  • Special events that bring in the public to see original work
  • Art on the Internet just is not the same as the real thing. I love the Internet - and along with an educated person on the phone, or on the computer, it can be a fabulous sales tool - but for items above gift and home decor prices the Internet is not so effective alone.
  • Given the previous statement, a gallery must have a web presence - with your work displayed and easily found on the site
What does all this come down to (along with all the other facets that I'm forgetting because it is approaching midnight)?

MARKETING

I'm no expert, and I often question the validity of those who claim to be, but I'm sure that marketing in one form or fashion makes the difference. The more facets that work together, the more likely the gem will glitter and grab someone's attention - the first step toward a successful art marketer.

Once again, I ask you, the reader to express your opinions and share your questions.


No comments:

Post a Comment